Is my Super Contribution tax deductible (Section 290)?

During last Financial Year (2016/17) some people made personal contributions to their Super. Some people are permitted to claim a tax deduction for those contributions: people who are self-employed; or people who are “substantially unsupported for super” (such as early retirees or those not working).

However, for the 2016/17 tax year, Employees are NOT permitted to claim a tax deduction, nor are employees of their own companies.

Persons permitted to claim a tax deduction (self-employed people and “substantially unsupported” people) must complete a “Section 290” (notice of intent to claim a personal super contribution) FORM and return this to the Super Fund.

For clients who made a personal contribution and cannot claim a tax deduction (or do not wish to), it might be because you made the contribution to qualify for the “Government Co-Contribution” (for persons whose income is below $36,021). In this situation (likely to be those who specifically contributed $1,000), you should not complete a Section 290 Form.

{Please Note: COMPASS cannot specifically advise you on your tax, but can make you aware of the potential tax outcome that is incidental to financial advice, such as the notification above. However, you should always discuss any of your tax enquiries with your Accountant or tax advisor}.


Any advice on this website is general in nature and does not take into account your personal circumstances, objectives and needs. Therefore, before making a decision, you should consider the appropriateness of the advice with regard to those matters. Please see our Financial Services Guide for more information.

COMPASS financial management (A.B.N. 43 235 905 061) is an authorised representative of Charter Financial Planning Ltd, Australian Financial Services Licensee


      02 6583 2211